Side by Side depends on our community volunteers to make all of our programs, including Great Start, possible. Many of our volunteers come from local churches, including Bethany Community Church, First United Methodist Church, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Laurel Presbyterian Church, Lifehouse Church, Our Savior Lutheran Church, St. Mark’s United Methodist Church, St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Church and St. Philip’s Episcopal Church.
We host 8 workshops throughout the school year at 5 Laurel schools: Bond Mill Elementary, Deerfield Run Elementary, James H. Harrison Elementary, Laurel Elementary, and Scotchtown Hills Elementary.
How Volunteers Serve at Great Start Workshops
• Meal Service: 2-3 volunteers set up the meal, serve the meal, and clean up all trash
• Registration: 2-3 volunteers (including one paid interpreter or Spanish-speaking volunteer) set up the registration table, check in returning families and register new families, write name tags, and give prizes to students in attendance
• Childcare: 4+ volunteers (including 2 paid childcare workers per school) help set up the activity room, participate in fun learning games, and take care of the children while their parents are in workshops
We also have a variety of other volunteer opportunities available including:
- Office tasks like making copies, delivering flyers, and completing mailings
- Board membership
- Team membership (teams include fundraising, marketing, finance, program, etc.)
- Fundraiser assistance for our annual breakfast, Side by Side Ride & Stride, and online fundraisers
If you would like to actively join our efforts to strengthen Laurel schools and families, you can download one of the applications below, fill it out and email it back to us. We are confident you will be enriched as you enrich others!
Here are digital copies of our core volunteer documents.No Comments yet.